Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Two Weeks Notice

Greetings from the southern hemisphere! Today marks my second week in the Mother City. Although I haven’t been here long, it’s shocking how fast Cape Town is beginning to feel like home. Since my arrival, I’ve been taking advantage of everything Africa has to offer (which just so happened to include meeting an adorable Golden Retriever). Some other notable highlights include…

Table Mountain
I had quite the welcome to Africa by taking a cable car up the mountain on my first full day here. At 3,500 feet up in the air, the view was unbelievable. We were so high up in the sky that I was literally on cloud nine.

The view from Table Mountain, where we practically floated on clouds. (Click photo to enlarge).

Kirstenbosch Gardens
After a long week of orientation, I was treated to a night full of traditional African cuisine and dancing with the 130 other students on my program. I plan to return to the botanical gardens during daylight hours so I can see all of the beauty this location has to offer.

Rugby Game
I barely understand American football, so my first rugby game was quite the experience. The match included head masks (?), guys wearing short shorts (??), doughnuts (???) – and clearly a lot of confusion by me. I’ll have to give this sport another chance later in the semester.

Cape of Good Hope
The peninsular tour I took of the city ended on an incredibly ‘low’ note at the most southwestern point on the African continent. The pictures don’t do the view justice – you really have to see it to believe it!

Casually hanging out at the most southwestern point of Africa! (Click photos to enlarge).

My days are filled with lots of walking (uphill, sometimes in the rain) and my nights are spent getting to know remarkable people from all across the world. I am confident I made the right decision to travel here and I can’t wait to see what the next two weeks will have in store. As they say in Cape Town… Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Kirstenbosch is awesome!! Try to catch a concert there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! What a beautiful place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are loving reading your blog. Cape Town suits you--you look gorgeous in the photos and sound so happy!!

    ReplyDelete